Sheds are the ultimate backyard accessory. Whether you’re looking for an outdoor space to entertain friends or you need some extra storage, sheds offer a versatile, functional area just steps from your home. But how do you determine the right shed for your needs? In today’s shed market, prefabricated wood and plastic models reign supreme, but allow us to introduce another option: the shipping container shed.
At first glance, shipping containers seem like an odd choice for a shed, but nothing could be further from the truth. Sheds made from shipping containers are more stable than wooden and plastic models and offer endless customization opportunities.
Still on the fence? Let us break down the top three reasons why shipping container storage sheds are the ultimate outdoor storage and space solution.
Shipping Container Storage Shed
1. Stability: Mobile Mini shipping containers are constructed from the world’s toughest steel, making them virtually weather-proof. It only takes one good storm to wreak havoc on a wooden or plastic shed; steel, on the other hand, says, “Bring it on Mother Nature.”
2. Customization Options: You may be wondering how one converts a shipping container to a storage shed. It’s easier than you think, and the renovation process leaves a lot of room to make your new shed your own. When you buy a wooden or plastic shed, the design is pretty much decided for you. Sheds made from shipping containers have numerous elements that you can choose to suit your needs:
- Storage Shed: If you plan to use your shipping container shed for storage space, all you need are some partitions and shelving. Unlike prefabricated sheds, a storage container shed gives you the option of placing your shelving or storage system(s) wherever you like, utilizing the space as you see fit.
- Hangout Space: This is where shipping container sheds really shine. When you’re turning your storage container into an outdoor space to entertain friends, watch the game, or just sit back and relax, you can create whatever environment you want within your container’s four walls. If you are a big sports fan, you could install a television, get a comfy couch, and build a small bar. More into relaxation? Create your personal zen space by installing some mood lighting, putting in some shelves for books and music, and setting up a sitting area where you can unwind and unplug.
Need more space? Try stacking two shipping containers on top of each other to create a multi-level shed, or put two next to each other to double your space.
3. Affordability: There are two primary factors to take into account when calculating the affordability of converting a shipping container into a storage shed. First, there are the upfront costs. When building a wooden shed from scratch, you have to account for material and labor costs, both of which can grow rather quickly. Second, there’s the cost of upkeep. Wood requires some love to keep it strong and sturdy. After a rough winter or even a particularly nasty storm, you could be looking at some pretty significant repair costs. Outside of potential damage, wood requires semi-annual sealing and conditioning. Storage containers, in contrast, require basically no upkeep, especially when they come from Mobile Mini. Our shipping containers are built to last, don’t rust or break down, and will be as stable and reliable in 10 years as they are the day of their purchase.
4. More Storage Space: If you’re looking to store large or heavy equipment, storage container sheds are going to be your best bet. Storage containers are stronger than wood, making them better suited to house industrial equipment and other heavy-duty items. Steel is also impenetrable, so you don’t have to worry about a rogue crane attachment or saw blade falling and cracking the floor.
5. Convenience: We would be remiss to leave this important benefit of a Mobile Mini storage container shed off our list. When you order your storage container from Mobile Mini, you get an award-winning team of customer support experts to ensure that your container is everything you need it to be. Delivery from Mobile Mini means no trips to the store, no renting a vehicle large enough to accommodate materials or a prefabricated shed, and most importantly, no stress. We will bring your shipping container right to your door and make sure everything is exactly where you want it to be. If you have questions, our customer support team is accessible 24/7. It doesn’t get much better than that.
More and more people are looking to shipping containers in the search for affordable, sustainable, and reliable space solutions. Storage container sheds offer stability and convenience that wooden and plastic structures just can’t compete with. We assure you, once you enter the world of shipping container sheds, your only question will be why you didn’t get one sooner.