Sheds are the ultimate storage accessory. Whether you’re looking for an outdoor space to house equipment on your jobsite or you’re in-need of a commercial storage space with room to repair equipment and work on machinery, sheds offer a versatile, functional area just steps from your work site. But how do you determine the right shed for your needs? In today’s shed market, prefabricated wood and plastic models reign supreme, but allow us to introduce another option: the shipping container building.
At first glance, shipping containers seem like an odd choice for a shed, but nothing could be further from the truth. Sheds, or small buildings, made from shipping containers are more stable than wooden and plastic models and offer endless customization opportunities.
Still on the fence? Let us break down the top three reasons why shipping container storage sheds are the ultimate outdoor storage and space solution.
What Are Container Buildings?
Container buildings, also referred to as container sheds, are storage units made from converted shipping containers. Yes, those shipping containers! In another life, container buildings transported some of the world’s heaviest cargo across oceans and through deserts, giving them the strength and durability required to keep your most valuable items safe and sound.
Container buildings are portable, which make them easy to transport. They’re also designed for easy loading and unloading. Just think of container buildings as the MVPs of the commercial storage world.
Benefits of Shipping Container Buildings: The Only Storage Shed You Will Ever Need
1. Stability: Mobile Mini container buildings are constructed from the world’s toughest steel, making them virtually weather-proof. It only takes one good storm to wreak havoc on a wooden or plastic shed; steel, on the other hand, says, “Bring it on Mother Nature.”
2. Customization Options: You may be wondering how one converts a shipping container to a container building. It’s easier than you think, and the renovation process leaves a lot of room to make your new shed your own. When you buy a wooden or plastic shed, the design is pretty much decided for you. Container buildings are made from shipping containers have numerous elements that you can choose to suit your needs:
- Storage Shed: If you plan to use your shipping container shed for commercial storage space, all you need are some partitions and shelving. Unlike prefabricated sheds, a storage container shed gives you the option of placing your shelving or storage system(s) wherever you like, utilizing the space as you see fit. If you are using your shed to store large equipment and machinery, you can remove your installed shelves to create more room.
- Combination Repair Space/Storage Area: This is where storage container sheds really shine. Due to their size (standard units start at 10’ and extra-wide units start at 18’) and their bare-bones construction, shipping containers are easily customized. If you’re looking for a storage shed with space to work on broken or old equipment or to fix machinery, shipping container sheds are a great option. If you want to create a more comfortable workspace, you can install vinyl flooring with some cushion to protect knees and joints when you’re under a crane or plow. If you’re looking for some entertainment while you work, it’s easy to add in furniture, radios, and even televisions, giving you everything you could need (or want!) in a workspace.
Need more space? Try stacking two shipping containers on top of each other to create a multi-level shed, or put two next to each other to double your space.
3. Affordability: There are two primary factors to take into account when calculating the affordability of converting a shipping container into a storage shed. First, there are the upfront costs. When building a wooden shed from scratch, you have to account for material and labor costs, both of which can grow rather quickly. Second, there’s the cost of upkeep. Wood requires some love to keep it strong and sturdy. After a rough winter or even a particularly nasty storm, you could be looking at some pretty significant repair costs. Outside of potential damage, wood requires semi-annual sealing and conditioning. Storage containers, in contrast, require basically no upkeep, especially when they come from Mobile Mini. Our shipping containers are built to last, don’t rust or break down, and will be as stable and reliable in 10 years as they are the day of their purchase.
4. More Storage Space: If you’re looking to store large or heavy equipment, storage container sheds are going to be your best bet. Storage containers are stronger than wood, making them better suited to house industrial equipment and other heavy-duty items. Steel is also impenetrable, so you don’t have to worry about a rogue crane attachment or saw blade falling and cracking the floor.
5. Convenience: We would be remiss to leave this important benefit of a Mobile Mini storage container shed off our list. When you order your storage container from Mobile Mini, you get an award-winning team of customer support experts to ensure that your container is everything you need it to be. Delivery from Mobile Mini means no trips to the store, no renting a vehicle large enough to accommodate materials or a prefabricated shed, and most importantly, no stress. We will bring your shipping container right to your door and make sure everything is exactly where you want it to be. If you have questions, our customer support team is always ready to help. It doesn’t get much better than that.
More and more people are looking to shipping containers in the search for affordable, sustainable, and reliable space solutions. Storage container sheds offer stability and convenience that wooden and plastic structures just can’t compete with. We assure you, once you enter the world of shipping container sheds, your only question will be why you didn’t get one sooner.
As an added bonus, when it comes to commercial storage needs, Mobile Mini is hard to beat. Our entire business model is designed to get you what you need faster than our competitors and with less stress and headache. Our products are affordable and we work to deliver equipment as fast as humanly possible--often within 24-hours. Need your shed moved to another worksite? No problem, with Mobile Mini, it’s easy to coordinate relocation, pick-up, and any other service you may need throughout your rental.
Mobile Mini: Built Different. Designed Better.