Everything to Know About Portable Conex and Storage Containers
If you own a business, you know that too much of a good thing is sometimes just too much. When it comes to things like paperwork, inventory, tech, machinery, and equipment, things can go from good to disorganized in a heartbeat.
That’s where Mobile Mini’s portable conex storage container rentals come in.Our customers love these units for their extreme portability and ease of installation and relocation.Conex containers give you the durability, flexibility, and performance you need to tackle any and all commercial storage needs that arise.
To help you better understand if a conex rental is right for you and your team, we’ve created a brief guide to teach you everything you’ve ever wanted to know about these storage containers.
What Is a Conex Box?
In the storage world, there are many ways to say “portable storage container,” and “conex box” is one of them. Conex boxes, also known as conex containers, are made from industrial steel, which means they are strong, durable, and weatherproof.
One of the big perks of the conex box is its portability. Conex containers are designed to move, which means you can easily transport them wherever your needs take you. These units also lend themselves to customization, allowing you to install lighting, shelving, or climate control to meet your specific storage or jobsite needs.
Mobile Mini Storage Containers Provide:
- TOP SECURITY: Mobile Mini general purpose containers are durable closed-steel boxes mostly of either 20- or 40-foot (6 or 12m) length. Common heights are 8-feet 6-inches (2.6 m) and 9-feet 6-inches (2.9 m), or “High Cube” containers. With thick walls made of the strongest corrugated steel, these storage containers are tamper- and natural disaster-proof. This is key. Lock it up with us and you’ll never have to worry again.
- ALL SIZES: Mobile Mini portable storage containers are great for retail, construction, jobsite equipment storage, auxiliary storage for power plants, and even office swing space storage! We’ll help you quickly alleviate inventory problems and create more precious space for your business. As the cheapest and fastest way to adapt to changing space and inventory demands, conex rentals could be your business’s #1 problem-solver! Compared to leasing a new building or warehouse space or moving a business, there’s no contest. Your company can take advantage of our on-site portable storage units, which include the big 20-foot standard container holding 1,150 cubic feet, the bigger 40-foot standard holding 2,400 cubic feet, or the awesome 40-foot High Cube holding 2,700 cubic feet.
Which Industries Use Conex Storage?
The beauty of portable storage is that it’s for anyone. At Mobile Mini, we only stock conex containers that are fully customizable, meaning that our customers can make their unit the perfect space for their business, team, and job site.
Through the decades, we’ve worked with over 20 industries and sectors, providing our customers with the products they need and the service they deserve. This number didn’t happen by accident. We continue to work hard to ensure that our service and inventory meet the needs of a wide range of industries.
To better understand how our conex box rentalscan enhance your projects, here are a few examples of our conex boxes in action:
- Retail: Our retail customers love our conex boxes because they provide a space to store unused and seasonal inventory. Some of our retail customers also use these containers to sort through inventory and keep things organized, freeing up stockroom and showroom space for customers and active items.
- Construction: Construction managers love conex boxes because they are perfect for storing equipment, machinery, and supplies overnight or when the site is not in use. Conex containers are also great for protecting sensitive or fragile materials from weather, loss, damage, and theft.
- Education: Schools, universities, and college campuses use our conex containers to store textbooks, tech, supplies, paperwork, and other education materials throughout the school year.
- Medical: Hospitals, health clinics, and medical centers use conex boxes to store emergency medical supplies, ensuring that they’re organized and ready for use in first response or high-pressure situations.
- Events: At outdoor events and concerts, our conex boxes are the perfect storage units for tech, sound, and lighting equipment.
- Automotive: Car dealerships and auto body sites use conex boxes to store equipment, supplies, and parts, keeping indoor space clear for repairs and customers.
- Hospitality: Restaurants and hotels use conex containers to store unused and seasonal supplies, paperwork, and personal protective equipment. These containers keep things organized and allow chefs and managers to access this equipment as they’re needed, keeping lobbies and kitchens free of clutter and chaos.
Conex Box Rentals You Can Rely On
Here at Mobile Mini, we’re big believers in giving our customers a ton of storage options. When it comes toconex storage rentals, we have four sizes to choose from:
- 10-foot Conex Box Rentals: These 7' 8-1/2" W x 9' 10-1/2" L x 7' 10-1/4" H containers are perfect for smaller storage jobs like seasonal supplies, small equipment, and record boxes.
- 15-foot Conex Box Rentals: Like their slightly smaller sibling, our 15-foot conex box rentals are great for smaller jobs and come in at 7' 8-1/2" W x 14' 10-1/2" L x 7' 10-1/4" H.
- 20-foot Conex Box Rentals: Our 20-foot conex boxes are where things start to get interesting. These 7' 8-1/2" W x 19' 10-1/2" L x 7' 10-1/4" H containers are perfect for larger seasonal storage, construction projects, and remodeling.
- 40-foot Conex Box Rentals: You can’t get much bigger than our 40-foot conex box rentals. These 7' 8-1/2" W x 39' 10-1/2" L x 7' 10-1/4" H have an internal volume of 2,414 cubic feet and can handle your biggest and toughest storage jobs.
Our conex storage container rentals also come with door options, including single-entry, double-entry, standard, and premium or one-touch.
Conex Container Essentials
The beauty of our conex containers is that they come empty, giving you all the space you need to make that container your own. While some of our customers prefer to keep their conex containers bare, others want a little more out of their storage units. For those customers, we recently launched Mobile Mini Essentials. Essentials is an add-on program that allows you to enhance the safety, efficiency, and utility of our entire inventory of conex containers. Each Essentials package is fully customizable, giving you the freedom to add as much or as little as you need to make your storage unit work for you. Storage Essentials packages include:
- Prorack: These flexible racks can be reconfigured to become anything from tool and pipe racks to desks and material storage. They are extremely versatile and easy to switch up, giving you unlimited utility options with one compact piece of equipment.
- Locks: When it comes to storage, security tends to be a major concern. At Mobile Mini, we offer a wide range of locks for rent as part of our Essentials program. With three types of locks offered (guard locks, padlocks, and enforcer locks), there’s no way that anyone is getting into your unit without a key and permission.
- Lighting: There are often times when you or someone on your team needs to access, load, or unload your unit in dark or dimly lit conditions. With extra lighting, you enhance the safety of your unit and your job site and ensure that your conex container is ready for use day or night.
- Storage Shelving: Shelves are one of the most useful things that you can put inside a conex container. Shelves help you keep an organized unit, make it easier to conduct inventory and assess what you have and what you don’t, and keep fragile items away from heavier ones that might cause damage. The best quality of shelves is that they don’t take up much space and leave you with a ton of empty square footage to play around with.
Essentials was designed to be a one-stop shop, meaning that your custom-built package will include everything you need to store with confidence. You can place your Essentials orders at the same time as the rest of your Mobile Mini supplies. Our team will deliver everything in one convenient trip, saving you time, planning, and a lot of headaches.
Info About Renting A Portable Conex Storage Container
Your delivery fee will be based on mileage. How far is your property from the Mobile Mini Conex yard?
You can control the timing. Mobile Mini guarantees fast and reliable pick-up and delivery with advanced notice. Most deliveries happen within 72 hours.
For a 20-foot conex box storage container, you’ll usually need 75 feet of straight clearance. For 40-foot containers, that’s more like 100 feet. For most containers, you’ll need a minimum of 12 feet of width clearance and 20 feet of overhead clearance. The truck and trailer weigh over 30,000 lbs. Remember to communicate if your site is at ground-level and/or on a concrete pad. You’ll also need to let us know if you have a paved road and if the site is prone to flooding. You’ll want to make sure you have enough room for semi-truck access.
Conex Box Storage Container FAQs
We know we've given you a lot of information to chew on. Sometimes, though, it’s easier to have the most basic questions answered in one convenient (and condensed) space. That’s why we’ve compiled a summary of the most frequently asked questions about our conex box storage containers:
- What is a conex box storage container? A conex box is a portable steel storage container used in commercial storage.
- Are conex boxes waterproof? Very much so. Our containers are designed to keep water and moisture away from your business supplies, ensuring that your most valuable items stay safe, dry, and secure throughout your rental period.
How long do conex boxes last? On average, conex storage containers last for about 25 years. While this number can fluctuate due to use and items stored, Mobile Mini’s conex units have a long lifespan and offer reliable and dependable storage for decades. This lifespan is again due to their construction. As Mobile Mini only uses storage units made from converted shipping containers (yes, those shipping containers) they are built to last and offer reliable storage for a long, long time.
- What are the benefits of a conex container? Conex boxes have many benefits, but the primary “pros” of using a conex box storage unit are:
Portability: Conex boxes are easily transported from site to site, with no impact on the physical or structural integrity of the unit.
Security: Conex box storage containers are made out of corrugated steel, which means they are weather -proof and provide the optimal security for your commercial goods.
Shape: Most conex boxes fit in a standard parking space. This means that you can store your conex boxon-site without taking up valuable commercial real estate or creating a cumbersome obstacle to navigate
- What are the size options of a conex box?: At Mobile Mini, we stock conex boxes that come in the following sizes: 10’, 15’, 20’, 40’. These sizes cover a full range of storage needs from office moves and document storage to heavy-duty equipment and construction supplies.
- How much space do I need for a conex box storage container?: Not much! Our conex box storage units are designed to optimize space at your worksite which means that our boxes often fit within a standard 9 x 18 parking space. This feature gives our customers the added convenience of being able to store their conex box on-site for easy access to any and all stored materials.
- What can I store in a conex box? Just about anything. Our conex boxes work well for most commercial items, including:
- Should I rent or buy my conex box? This one is a personal choice, but we recommend sticking to the following:
Buy: If your storage needs extend further than a 24-month period, it usually makes more financial sense to buy a conex box storage unit rather than renting. This also allows you to avoid the challenges of moving your goods in and out of your conex box when rental periods expire, etc.
Rent: If your storage needs are 24 months or less, or if you have changing storage needs throughout the year, we recommend renting your conex box. Rentals provide more flexibility in that you can switch out your unit if you run out of space, have too much space, etc.
Are conex containers secure? You bet. When we started this company, we were not impressed with the security options available for storage containers. Instead of using a product we didn’t believe in, we went ahead and created our own. Today, all premium Mobile Mini conex containers come standard with our tri-cam locking system. These patented security bars interlock and hinge in multiple places, offering security that thieves hate. For customers who want even more protection, we offer a wide range of locks for rent alongside our units, ensuring that your valuable supplies stay right where they should be.
Let Us Do the Heavy Lifting
Anyone can offer you a conex rental, but few can do it like us. When you go with Mobile Mini for your next conex box rental,you’ll get support from rental to pickup. Once you have selected your conex container, we’ll get everything delivered and set up, usually within one day. When you’re done with your unit, just give us a call, and we will come and pick everything up, leaving your space looking as good as new. Contact us today for a conex box rental near you, and see why we lead the industry in safety and customer satisfaction!